58 Workers Arrested, Freed Over Protests At Bavet SEZs
BY MATT BLOMBERG AND KANG SOTHEAR | DECEMBER 22, 2015
Fifty-eight challenging laborers from the Tai Seng unique monetary zone (SEZ) in Bavet City were captured on Monday morning and discharged at night in the wake of concurring not to utilize viciousness or harm property later on, powers said, the most recent advancement in an episode of turmoil that started a week ago.

Around 200 specialists strolled off the occupation not long after touching base at manufacturing plants in the Tai Seng SEZ and advanced toward the close-by Manhattan SEZ at 9 a.m., however were obstructed by mob police, authorities said. A few laborers were captured by then, yet the dominant part were kept after the crowd—a few individuals outfitted with sticks and clubs—endeavored to enter the Manhattan SEZ through marshland behind it.
Specialists are watched by military police subsequent to being captured outside the Manhattan SEZ in Bavet City on Monday morning. (Licadho)
Specialists are watched by military police subsequent to being captured outside the Manhattan SEZ in Bavet City on Monday morning. (Licadho)
"We encompassed them while they were attempting to get past the waterway to approach the processing plants in the zone," said appointee common senator Hou Rattanak. "On the off chance that we didn't make a move, they would have annihilated the processing plants."
Sous Sarin, head of the commonplace police's minor violations authority, said 500 security work force were conveyed around the SEZs on Monday.
Powers said there had been some harm brought on by the dissenters—just like the case a week ago when manufacturing plant windows were broken, prompting the capture of four specialists — and that those captured on Monday were discharged on the condition that they stop vicious action.
"Subsequent to instructing them and requesting that they consent to an arrangement not to utilize savagery and harm the property of other individuals later on, we let their guardians or watchmen take them back home," said commonplace military police authority Ser Vuthy.
The dissents started halfway through a week ago, with unions denying inclusion and specialists making different requests identified with the lowest pay permitted by law in article of clothing processing plants, which as of now stands at $128 every month and is set to ascend to $140 toward the begin of 2016.
After laborers strolled off the occupation at the Kingmaker industrial facility on Wednesday, their challenges spread around the Manhattan SEZ and afterward over the street to the Tai Seng SEZ. Both were closed down for the day and the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia (GMAC) guaranteed that a large number of dollars had been lost.
Mao Kosal, operations administrator at the Tai Seng SEZ, said that in regards to 70 percent of the around 10,000 laborers utilized in the zone were filling in as regular on Monday. Men Chivoan, organization chief at the Manhattan SEZ, said that of nearly 23,000 specialists there, just around 400 were missing on Monday.
Noticeable union pioneers in Bavet City say they are not behind the most recent work strife to hit a territory that has been tormented by poor modern relations as of late. GMAC secretary-general Ken Loo, notwithstanding, said the qualities of the present turmoil recommended that the laborers were sorted out.
"That is the thing that they all say—they say it's an uprising of the specialists, we hear that constantly," Mr. Loo said.
"I am persuaded that there must be somebody behind this. It is very far-fetched this is an unconstrained occasion—it is difficult to compose 40 industrial facilities and the way it developed, it would seem that there is a great deal of association, particularly today's activities," he included.
Mr. Loo rehashed claims that the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, headed by Pav Sina, was behind huge scale strikes in Bavet City a year ago, however cleared up that he was not blaming Mr. Sina of contribution this time around.
"We don't know who, or why, however it must be somebody," he said.
Mr. Loo, whose affiliation speaks to the nation's trading piece of clothing production lines, said that with the rush of dissents having tackled a criminal nature, it was impossible that any union would rise to speak to the included specialists.
"Any individual who approaches with requests now will be seen as assuming liability for the entire thing," he said. "As of right now, there is no transaction at all."
William Conklin, nation chief for the Solidarity Center, a U.S.- based work rights bunch, said the Bavet City financial zones were enduring the outcomes of their accomplishment in "keeping unions out."
"It is to some degree undifferentiated from the strike circumstance in Vietnam the previous 10 years," he said.
"Striking without administration from a union, they continue for a considerable length of time in light of the fact that no one needs to be recognized as the pioneer. The strikes in Vietnam were entirely effective: They got parts of what they need, yet at this moment, we aren't clear about what is being arranged or if the businesses are readied to give any more."
Mr. Conklin said the production lines would be ideally serviced by permitting unions to work unreservedly.
"They need to keep away from assortment of unions in manufacturing plants, however the flipside is that when there is turmoil, they have nobody to arrange with," he said.
The four laborers captured a week ago—Van Vichet, 24; Paldy Somalyda, 27; Sok Kong, 28; and Chheng Sopha, 35—were charged at the Svay Rieng Provincial Court on Sunday with irritated viciousness, disturbed deliberate harm and prompt ment to carry out a wrongdoing, as indicated by Tep Phalla, the court's head of organization. Together, the wrongdoings convey up to 12 years in jail.
"The judge issued a request to send them to jail for pretrial confinement," Mr. Phalla said.
Sary Chakrya, an attorney from the Cambodian Legal Education Center, which nearly screens work rights, said she went to Bavet City on Monday to meet the groups of those kept with the expectation of speaking to them in court.
Mr. Chakrya said she effectively met with two families, and picked up force of lawyer in both cases, and would return on Wednesday to meet the other two and after that advise the court.
"I can't say anything in regards to the case yet in light of the fact that I dont have the records from the court so I don't have clear data," she said. "I will apply with the court on Wednesday and after that I
BY MATT BLOMBERG AND KANG SOTHEAR | DECEMBER 22, 2015
Fifty-eight challenging laborers from the Tai Seng unique monetary zone (SEZ) in Bavet City were captured on Monday morning and discharged at night in the wake of concurring not to utilize viciousness or harm property later on, powers said, the most recent advancement in an episode of turmoil that started a week ago.

Around 200 specialists strolled off the occupation not long after touching base at manufacturing plants in the Tai Seng SEZ and advanced toward the close-by Manhattan SEZ at 9 a.m., however were obstructed by mob police, authorities said. A few laborers were captured by then, yet the dominant part were kept after the crowd—a few individuals outfitted with sticks and clubs—endeavored to enter the Manhattan SEZ through marshland behind it.
Specialists are watched by military police subsequent to being captured outside the Manhattan SEZ in Bavet City on Monday morning. (Licadho)
Specialists are watched by military police subsequent to being captured outside the Manhattan SEZ in Bavet City on Monday morning. (Licadho)
"We encompassed them while they were attempting to get past the waterway to approach the processing plants in the zone," said appointee common senator Hou Rattanak. "On the off chance that we didn't make a move, they would have annihilated the processing plants."
Sous Sarin, head of the commonplace police's minor violations authority, said 500 security work force were conveyed around the SEZs on Monday.
Powers said there had been some harm brought on by the dissenters—just like the case a week ago when manufacturing plant windows were broken, prompting the capture of four specialists — and that those captured on Monday were discharged on the condition that they stop vicious action.
"Subsequent to instructing them and requesting that they consent to an arrangement not to utilize savagery and harm the property of other individuals later on, we let their guardians or watchmen take them back home," said commonplace military police authority Ser Vuthy.
The dissents started halfway through a week ago, with unions denying inclusion and specialists making different requests identified with the lowest pay permitted by law in article of clothing processing plants, which as of now stands at $128 every month and is set to ascend to $140 toward the begin of 2016.
After laborers strolled off the occupation at the Kingmaker industrial facility on Wednesday, their challenges spread around the Manhattan SEZ and afterward over the street to the Tai Seng SEZ. Both were closed down for the day and the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia (GMAC) guaranteed that a large number of dollars had been lost.
Mao Kosal, operations administrator at the Tai Seng SEZ, said that in regards to 70 percent of the around 10,000 laborers utilized in the zone were filling in as regular on Monday. Men Chivoan, organization chief at the Manhattan SEZ, said that of nearly 23,000 specialists there, just around 400 were missing on Monday.
Noticeable union pioneers in Bavet City say they are not behind the most recent work strife to hit a territory that has been tormented by poor modern relations as of late. GMAC secretary-general Ken Loo, notwithstanding, said the qualities of the present turmoil recommended that the laborers were sorted out.
"That is the thing that they all say—they say it's an uprising of the specialists, we hear that constantly," Mr. Loo said.
"I am persuaded that there must be somebody behind this. It is very far-fetched this is an unconstrained occasion—it is difficult to compose 40 industrial facilities and the way it developed, it would seem that there is a great deal of association, particularly today's activities," he included.
Mr. Loo rehashed claims that the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, headed by Pav Sina, was behind huge scale strikes in Bavet City a year ago, however cleared up that he was not blaming Mr. Sina of contribution this time around.
"We don't know who, or why, however it must be somebody," he said.
Mr. Loo, whose affiliation speaks to the nation's trading piece of clothing production lines, said that with the rush of dissents having tackled a criminal nature, it was impossible that any union would rise to speak to the included specialists.
"Any individual who approaches with requests now will be seen as assuming liability for the entire thing," he said. "As of right now, there is no transaction at all."
William Conklin, nation chief for the Solidarity Center, a U.S.- based work rights bunch, said the Bavet City financial zones were enduring the outcomes of their accomplishment in "keeping unions out."
"It is to some degree undifferentiated from the strike circumstance in Vietnam the previous 10 years," he said.
"Striking without administration from a union, they continue for a considerable length of time in light of the fact that no one needs to be recognized as the pioneer. The strikes in Vietnam were entirely effective: They got parts of what they need, yet at this moment, we aren't clear about what is being arranged or if the businesses are readied to give any more."
Mr. Conklin said the production lines would be ideally serviced by permitting unions to work unreservedly.
"They need to keep away from assortment of unions in manufacturing plants, however the flipside is that when there is turmoil, they have nobody to arrange with," he said.
The four laborers captured a week ago—Van Vichet, 24; Paldy Somalyda, 27; Sok Kong, 28; and Chheng Sopha, 35—were charged at the Svay Rieng Provincial Court on Sunday with irritated viciousness, disturbed deliberate harm and prompt ment to carry out a wrongdoing, as indicated by Tep Phalla, the court's head of organization. Together, the wrongdoings convey up to 12 years in jail.
"The judge issued a request to send them to jail for pretrial confinement," Mr. Phalla said.
Sary Chakrya, an attorney from the Cambodian Legal Education Center, which nearly screens work rights, said she went to Bavet City on Monday to meet the groups of those kept with the expectation of speaking to them in court.
Mr. Chakrya said she effectively met with two families, and picked up force of lawyer in both cases, and would return on Wednesday to meet the other two and after that advise the court.
"I can't say anything in regards to the case yet in light of the fact that I dont have the records from the court so I don't have clear data," she said. "I will apply with the court on Wednesday and after that I







